Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Interpreters

I am just steaming right now because I just got an email stating that my son't interpreters would NOT be covered for his wrestling camps this summer.  I have cried about it, felt sorry for him, cried some more and then I just got ANGRY.  Now I have put in several emails to different people..his coach for starters.  I just don't feel it's fair for him to miss out on the things other kids get to go to just because he is deaf!  The cost for interpreters are 50 bucks an hour and we just can't cover that over a week long stay. It's 24 hours for 7 day we would have to pay for.  It is their time and they do have to stay in a hotel room for a week!  Can't blame them at all!  But I just assumed that there would be some sort of LAW protecting these deaf children who want to do the things every other child CAN do.  And he really wants to become a better wrestler.  These camps are necessary for these kids to become better.  Well, thanks for listening to me grip...back to google to try to find ANYTHING that can help me out. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant believe that and I am sorry.....Have you tried like the Center for the Deaf or something similar?  I know you know way more than me but it would seem to me that there would be something that could be done...someone or some group that might pay for it.....or at least hlaf of it?

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I know there are some laws to protect kids in this situation but I'm not sure how extensively they go. I know that in my county there are parent liasons set up to make sure parents understand their rights. You might try there. My brother and I were counselors for two deaf girls at our youth camp. He was much more proficient in ASL than I ever was... but I would just sit between the girls and make notes. I write fast and neat... Does he lip read at all?
Start with the Americans With Disabilities act... that should point you in the right direction...
*hugs*
heather