Friday, May 4, 2007

Sad Day

Update below:

Well this morning was not a good morning at all.  First Nick was up before 6am so that was not cool.  Then my husband went down to wake up our son and he said Bailey was not doing good.  Bailey is our old dog who is sixteen now so we know the time is coming but we have had him since we got our First house sixteen years ago and he was this sweet little puppy who turned into one of the "family".  He is now blind TOTALLY and deaf. He is still trying to get used to getting around.  The vet told us not to move anything and he will get used to finding his food ect.  This morning I had to get up and carry him outside to go potty because he is so stiff until his aspirin takes hold.  I try to tie him outside so he doesn't wander into the woods and get lost but he just whines at me. He hates being chained...he has never been on a chain in his life...we either had a fenced in yard or now living out here they were free to wander on our 20 acres which they love!  Yesterday Bailey managed to wander up to Grandma and Grandpas house to visit.  I think Nick and i will go for a walk with him today so he can be where he loves to be.  I was watching him from the balcony while he wandered to grandmas and he was bumping into about every tree there was.  Grandma said he made it up there though.  I had to take the van to go get him because it was late and I didn't want him wandering in the dark because it would be a lot harder to find him in the dark!  I"m calling the vet today to see if there is anything they could give him so he's not so stiff.  If he's in too much pain we will have to put him down.  I so dread that day :(  I think this summer will be a sad one for us. 

Update:  Well Nick and I spent the morning outside with Bailey...walking combing him out, shaving him for summer, and pulling ticks.  We were slow to get started on our meds for ticks and now I regret it!  I didn't find many on them though so that was amazing.  I however did find mice droppings in our garage!!!!  YUK!  So I'm going to have hubby put a trap in there. I don't want mouse droppings on our counter top in our garage...that's just sick. lol  I gave Bailey his aspirin so he's doing better now.  Come later this evening though he will be hurting again. 
Later today I'm going to try to give him a bath.  After shaving him he's got to be itchy!  I'm still not all the way finished with his shave but he got tired of it and so I am giving him a little break.  I will have to take a picture of him when he's all done so he can sport his new look.  I will go back out and try to do some more when Nick goes down for his nap which is now.  Will update later on. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's sad about your dog.  I am not a dog person but my Mom loves dogs and I can see how you'd feel.  I have always been more of a cat lover...but I love animals.  So, I feel for you.

Wow, I wish I could get our little guy to sleep until 6:00!!  He was up at 4:30 today.  

Take care and let me know if there is anything we can do.

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((( Big Hugs ))))))))))))))))))))) I"m sorry that Bailey is not doing well. I just hate to hear this. I hope they will find something to give him to ease his joints. Surely there is something. I will keep him and you in my thoughts.
Ang~

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you doggie is sick!!  I'm here for you if you need me.  I'll keep you in my thoughts,

Anonymous said...

((((((Hugs to Carrie & Bailey))))))) I know pets are family and I know how upset that you will be when something does happen to him.

Love ya
Kallie