Wednesday, January 24, 2007

An update

Here is a pic of our tasty soup (beef barley veggi soup) we had tonight and I am listing the recipe below:



 Check out Y updates below this entry watch for the red update info: 


BY THE WAY:   JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW, I AM NOT WEIGHING IN FOR 3 MORE WEEKS BECAUSE OF BEING ON THE 'BESTLIFE DIET'  SO WATCH FOR THAT WEIGH IN.  I WILL BE POSTING MY TICKER IN THAT ENTRY.  HOPEFULLY WITH GOOD NEWS.  OH, I'M DOING PRETTY GOOD TODAY ALSO. DRINKING A LOT OF WATER AND EATING LOWER FAT CHOICES AND HUBBY SAID HE PLANS ON GOING TO THE Y WITH ME AND MY SISTER WILL WATCH THE BABY.  I WILL UPDATE ON IF WE MADE IT OR NOT LATER TONIGHT.

Yesterday was a pretty good day...I had to run get my son from practice so I went to the YMCA and had a good workout.  I also got my card punched to try to win free prizes there AND If I get 36 punches I get a FREE T shirt!  Hubby stayed home from work cuz he wasn't feeling well so he didn't go with me to the Y he stayed home with baby.  I did forget my IPOD though so it was kind of boring walking without it.  Its amazing, when you go there, EVERYONE has an IPOD lol. I'm not even kidding.  I will add more pics later today. 

Cindy, by the way, Krista IS having a GIRL for sure! 

My Niece just started a journal here also!  Now I have my sister and niece here to cheer me on!  Check out their journals in my journal links.  Now I just have to work on my other family members lol  I doubt they will because they don't know enough about computers and they scare them.  Ok...I'm taking a vote...what type of pictures do you guys want to see???  I'm running out of photo options lol so I need some ideas!  I know Amanda had said she wanted to see some of ME! lolI'm shy but I will get a few on here.  Maybe I will have my son take one of me in front of the Y. 

I just noticed something...in the "music I am listening to" part of the journal both my niece and i have cartoons listed! lol  You can tell who rules the tv. 

UPDATE:

OK we are going to the Y in a little bit...hubby is going with me this time and I got my IPOD packed so I don't forget it this time!  By the way, my dinner tonight is the low fat soup I made from scratch tonight!  YUMMY!

We DID go to the Y for our 30 min work out to get our punch on our punch card...I'm on my 4th punch now. 



RECIPE:
This is a recipe that my husband and I have developed on our own over the past several years.  We finally decided to measure and write down everything we've been putting in it so we can get the same taste from one batch to the next for a change. (Nutrition info estimate based on ingredients.)

Makes 8-9 Quarts
Serving Size: 1.5 C
Servings 21+
Calories: 180
Fat: <3 grams
%Calories from fat: <14%
Cook time: Just over 1hr for "quick" or 3-6hrs for "good!"

Ingredients:

  • 2 6oz can tomato paste
  • 3 lb beef roast (cubed)
  • 6-8 Medium Potatoes (cubed)
  • 16 oz bag baby carrots (chopped)
  • ¾ C green onions (one bunch) finely chopped
  • 1 Lg Yellow Onion (Diced.. about 1½ to 2 C)
  • 1 bunch celery stalks, chopped (2-3 cups)
  • 1 C Barley
  • 6-8 cloves garlic (pressed/crushed) Or 3-4 Tbs minced garlic
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 Tbs Luisiana Hot Sauce
  • 2 Tbs Worshestershire sauce
  • 14 Beef Boulion Cubes
  • Salt to taste

If you are in a hurry substitute 1½ C Quick Barley for the 1 cup regular barley and use the "Quick" cooking instructions below.

"Quick" cooking instructions: Fill a 10 quart soup kettle ½ full with water and start boiling the barley, carrots, and celery in the pot right away. This will give them a chance to cook while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients. Add remaining ingredients then fill with water to 9 quarts (about 1 inch from top.) Cook until vegetables are tender (about 1hr.) Add salt to taste.

"Good!" Cooking directions (recommended!): Fill a 10 quart soup pot ½ full with water. Add all remaining ingredients except barley. Cook for 2 hours stirring occasionally. Add barley. Cook another 1-2 hours stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste. (If you can, simmer 2-3 more hours.)

Notes: You can substitute Hunts tomato paste with garlic for the regular tomato paste and the garlic.  It adds a hint of garlic.  Either way garlic lovers will want to add more on their own to taste since the garlic flavor is not very pronounced in this recipe.

Due to the long cooking time for best taste (3+ hours) you may want to use red potatoes instead of brown. They have less starch and don't disintigrate or get as "mushy."

This recipe is higher in sodium than I'd like (about 24% of daily recommendation before adding salt to taste.) This is mostly from the boulion cubes. This still isn't bad at all for a meal, but I thought I'd mention it for those who need to watch their sodium intake. Any tips to reduce the salt without hurting the flavor would be appreciated.

You could freeze leftovers but we found that everyone loves it so much it never lasts long enough to need it. It should last you a good week if refrigerated. Half all amounts but leave the cooking times alone if you want a smaller batch.

Tips for cooling your soup: We make it more during the winter because of the giant ice-box right outside of the door. If you make your soup in a more moderate climate/season you should consider cooling such a large quantity (over 2 gallons) in an icewater bath in the sink stirring regularly. Also it's a good idea to leave a metal ladel in the soup while cooling to help heat closer to the center radiate out. You might want to look at the "Cool it Properly" heading at http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/he492-3.htm for more tips.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))lol,your to funny.You seem so happy.I would just like to see any pics of you.I think your doing a GREAT job with this diet.Giid for you.But do me a favor?Allow yourself one treat,how ever you would like to do that,one treat a week or something like that.I dont hink I would have the courge to do this.lol.But,I am very proud of you.Have a nice night.


Anonymous said...

WOW........ that soup looks SOOOOOOO GOOD!

I like veggie soup !

~ Christopher ~