Friday, April 18, 2008

Clerify/ No Tech Night

I think I had some of you confused about Grandma. I was wondering why everyone thought she was my grandma and then I went to reread and said OH DUH!   LOL My fault!  I always call her grandma for the kids sake and if they read this later on.  She is actually my MIL and the Kids grandma.  My grandparents I never got the pleasure of meeting :(  They were all dead before I was born.  Anyway, she is doing a little better...they still have her at the hospital but hopefully she will get to come home today.  :)  Thanks for all the comments  and the prayers!!! 

No Tech Night!  It was great!  Did anyone else do it?  If you did I have to put our name in our hat for your surprise :) Please comment and let me know...no one said for sure if they would do it besides Lori so I hope some of you got a chance to reunite with your "family" and enjoyed a project or a good book! 

  Oh man I have SOO many pictures to share...I hope I can put them all in ONE entry! lol  Here we go!

First we start out with a cute one...this was take a couple days ago.  The dog adores Stefan. This was early in the morning...Stefan had slept on the couch.



Now I have to tell you what I did!  I went to Wal-Mart hoping to find a cheap pool ( I know!  I should not shop there but when I needed cheap I have to go there) it was the only thing I was going to buy there...well it turned out that the pool was to short for what I needed...I was afraid the light was going to be too low and burn the chicks.  So I said I will look someplace else.  I did get bedding there since I didn't get the pool so I was checking out and the lady from back in gardens ran up to me and said "We just had a great idea for your chicks"  She said go to produce and ask for a watermelon box!  I did and they happened to have one!  It was prefect!  REALLY thick and strong. Also notice we still have SNOW...lol it was 65 degrees and it's still hanging on.  Here is the box: 48" X 40" and it's 25" high. 





As you can see the bottom has a hole. lol  We are just cutting plywood to fit the floor and I'm going to tape around the edges with duct tape so the chicks can't fall through the edge crack.



Ok I also went to get feed today:  Had already picked up a light and bulb.  Kelly, look what the lady said was "NO ANIMAL PROTEIN!" lol  Did she just guess at this?  lol  I returned THIS bag and went to another feed store who would actually go read it for me when I called and asked about it. Now when I read this...under ingredients it read "animal protein products" do you see it?? Sorry it's sideways!  I forgot to turn it before I exported it. Anyway, wanna here what she had to say when I showed her where it said 'animal protein' on the ingredients?  She says..."OH I'm so sorry, I must have read the wrong bag"!  I said...oh then lets go look because I will buy the one that says no animal proteins. I believed that maybe she did look at the wrong bag and I would then BUY the right one!  HUH we could not find one that didn't have animal protein.  Looked at the wrong bag my foot!  More like you didn't look at all!  GRRRR That just erks me when people don't bother doing their job and then I wasted gas to go out there to pick this up for nothing! It was a 15 min drive out there!   Gas is not cheap!!  I told her that retailers need to start reimbursing gas money too for their mistakes! I usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to this sort of thing but I was disgusted that this lady was talking on the phone to what sounded like a friend while I stood at the counter waiting to be served so I thought what the heck! lol Look under ingredients:




Here are some other products I got...the OLD "animal protein filled" food is under the waterer and light.  The bag I returned.











Here is the right bag!  I called my ol trusty pet/feed store where I get my dog food...why I didn't try there to start I don't know!!!  Anyway when I called the guy says hold on I will go check!  I didn't go there for nothing!  I took Max with us and he LOVED everyone but he especially loved the girl who worked there lol.  He wanted to sit at her feet and when she turned away from him he barked at her to get her attention.  He NEVER does that!  lol  It was cute.



Ok here is what we did on No Tech Night...We built a brooder top and floor for our chickens.  It was fun.  We are in Cory's parents basement here.  His dad made a nice work room.  Had all the tools handy.





Here is Nic doing HIS job of cleaning up.  He did a great job! LOOK HEATHER, I'M LINE MIXING AGAIN! lol 




The first part is done...now all we have to do is screw the other part onto this part (look just like it but no screen) to make it stronger. You can see it in the back right...Cory is drilling holes in it so it pulls tight to the one with the screen.





Here is the finished product...Nic is already making use out of it by driving cars on it. lol  This is one tight fit so there will be no jumping out of this!  Nic can even stand on it! It's strong. 




We now have a floor in it too...



So there you have it!  OUR accomplishment for the first NO TECH NIGHT!  It was fun and then after we were done it was about 9 ish so we sat on the couch and just talked.  By 9:30 we were in bed.  I woke up at 3am cuz Nic come crawling in our bed and for an hour he drove cars quietly on my back and then he finally went back to sleep.  I never let him know I was awake.  I woke back up at 5:30 and got up and turned on the computer.  I wanted to update all this last night but I forgot that we were in the middle of No Tech Night!  I have to get used to this! lol  So I patiently waited till today. 



Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a great day today :)  OHHH I ALMOST FORGOT!  Guess what! When i went in to pick up my feed I heard baby chicks peeping in the back room...I asked the lady "Are those baby chicks i'm  hearing?" She says YES would you like to see them?  LOL I wonder if she could hear excitement in my voice. I got to see baby chicks and for the first time I got to pet one!  OH I wanted to take them all home!  There were 100 of them...feed chicks.... :( So they only have a few months of life to look forward to.  The guy who purchased them was suppose to pick them up that morning but it was 4pm and he was still not there.  The lady had to pull out lights and feeders so they would not die!   I wonder what happens if he didn't come to pick them up??? 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chicken house looks great.  Great idea using a watermelon box from Walmart.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Nice of the WM people to give you that huge box....wow, you all did ALOT on your no tech night, good for you!!
XO

Anonymous said...

The watermelon box was a great idea!  It's so nice to see y'all building the coop for 'no tech night' :)  looks like y'all had a really good time.
What BS about all the run around over the feed.  As if it's that difficult to look at the ingredients.  whatever happened to customer service?!

you have a great weekend doll~
~Bernie

Anonymous said...

great pictures!! WTG for you and your family on the accomplishment of building the chickens their home; looks great! and also WTG for doing no tech night!! what an awesome thing to do to spend time with your family!

looking forward to reading more about these chicks in the weeks to come!

betty

Anonymous said...

What a fullfilling life you have!  Sounds like you are all having great fun with your new project... I can't really participate in No Tech Night because the only thing I can do right now at this point in my life, pretty much, is the computer... I would love to have a No Tech Night... But my daughter is grown and out of the house and my husband works second shift M-F... So there is just me and my 81 year old Mother here at the house and she doesn't do much of anything but smoke cigarettes and drink coffe all day, so no involvement there... I would love to find a project to do, even by myself... Like latch hooking this huge "cornicopia" rug that has lots of different colors in it, it is soooo pretty... Oh well, maybe someday... Enjoy your weekend! ~Journey

Anonymous said...

Wow.......... Are these the kinda chickens that will lay eggs someday or the other :\

Ps.. whats the " NO TECH NIGHT" about????????

--- Christopher

Anonymous said...

Wow you guys look like you're all ready now. Can't wait to see the babies Nic will be in Heaven.
Take care and Hugs, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Glad that your MIL is doing better. That was nice of that clerk to come and tell you about those boxes. Looks like you have got all ready for those chicks. Just hubby and myself here so we talk plenty during the day so we didn't do the no tech night. Wonder if that man ever picked up his chicks. Helen

Anonymous said...

Cliff always called my mom "grandma" after we had a baby.  Before that, he never knew what to call her.

Anonymous said...

I just loved reading all about all that you did together, you have a wonderful life!! I can't wait for the babies to come so we can watch them grow...how long does it take for them to be full grown? I loved seeing all the pictures and when I read that Nic drove cars on your back for an hour and he didn't know you were awake........priceless!!!!!!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

We didn't do it as well... Jimmy said maybe another night as he had a plannedf war on Socom....

As far as Kelly she does sit for ther klids but not while Jimmy is unemployed. Her and Hannah are doing well. We see them often. In fact last Sunday we went to a women's expo and Jimmy watched all the kids. Good daddy and friend.

Love ya
Kallie

Anonymous said...

Wow you are certainly planning ahead with these chickens xx  Glad No Tech night went well x

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife