Monday, April 14, 2008

Our weekend

It's 33 degrees here this morning...maybe that's a sign it will get up past 40 today?  I sure hope so!  No snow for the past two days but were expecting a little more I think on Friday.  Then hopefully we are done!  You know me...I love winter and snow but everyone needs spring once in a while!  Even me! lol  I'm ready for it now.  Plus......

Guess what?  Were getting chickens!  We travel an extra 15 min past our reg grocery store trip just to pick up 4 doz farm fresh chicken eggs for us and my hubby's parents who live next door.  We figured we should just grow our own.  Why not...they are easy to raise and fun to watch...so I hear and read.  We have been reading A LOT about this.  I think we are going to get Buff Orpingtons per kelly's recommendation for first time owners.  We want free range chickens but we have to see how the dogs are going to cope with that.  That may change.

We watched a movie Saturday nite...here is a review for ya:

No Reservations...staring Catherine Zeta Jones.  Kate (Jones) is unexpectantly named guardian to her young niece.  She is a very emotionally  fragile chef and doesn't think she can do it. VERY good movie.. I could tell you lots more but don't want to ruin the movie!  I would recommend NOT reading the back of the cover...I think it's a spoiler!  LOL  2 THUMBS up...would do 3 but I don't have three thumbs ;) 

Sneakers...Starring Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, and River Phoenix. Redford and 5 others are doing spy work for the government.  That results in a reunion with an old friend who is now a power mad computer genius.  Ok this movie sounds boring but it's FAR from boring!  It's full of action and it too would get a three thumbs up if I had three thumbs!

That pretty much sums up our weekend...besides like 100 email to Kelly over and chicken chronicle's for chicken advice! lol  AND reading chicken lit!  OH we did stop  over at a house who has free range chickens twice now.  Cars have been there garage doors have been open but no one will answer the door.  We simply wanted to ask them if they sold eggs lol  They are only a few miles away rather then an hour!  We went over yesterday evening to see if the would consider selling us some chicks now rather then eggs and still not answering the door :(     

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou so much for your kind comment you left on my journal about  Aunty Kitty ,such a comfort to Maurice and I ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hope you get your warm up.  Yesterday the hubby spent all day mowing and weedeating our yard.  It is so green already.  
I have a few movies to watch that came in from DVD swap last week, I bought 5 credits so I can order more of the All About DVDs for Tommy.  We now have Dinosaurs, Horse, Cars and Motorcycles.  

Hope you have a spring day!
debbie

Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot to tell you...on our dairy we had chickens that laid blue and green eggs, mom always called them Easter chickens.  I miss those fresh farm eggs.  

debbie

Anonymous said...

I used to have some layers and really enjoyed them. I too had some that layed the green. blue and pink eggs. Strange those people not opening the door. Maybe they were out hunting for their eggs LOL. If you see a name on the mailbox you might find them in the phone book. More than likely the dogs would chase the chickens. My DIL has hers in a pen using chicken wire and a small house in there for them to stay in where she has metal nest for the chickens to lay in. I think she put a little hay in those nest. You could build some nest out of lumber. Helen

Anonymous said...

You're so cute :) I just love how motivated you are to give your family health food, you're a great Mom & wife!
I think the chickens sound like fun, and Nic will LOVE them! When I was a small girl, I used to go with my Grandma to her Sister's house out in the country, and they raised chickens & rabbits...it was always a great day for me! Are you just getting them for the eggs or for eating, too? I saw that once, by accident, with the rabbits, and I was scarred for life!! LOLOLOLOL!!!! My Grandma felt so bad though, she made me about 50 new rag dolls I think, every time I would go over to her house she'd say "here sweetie lamb, look what Grandma made you, I thought this would always make you think of happy things". LOLOLOL! Funny the memories that come back huh? I miss my Grandma soooo much....she passed when I was pregnant with Mandy. Kinda got off the subject there....all from chicken talk! LMAO!!!!! Anyhow, it sounds like fun and I can't wait to see all kinds of fun pictures and videos of them :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I would love to raise my own chickens, but I would end of attached to them just like a dog or cat.  I'd give each one a name.  I know, I'm a nut.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun weekend hon. Kelly is a great choice for advice on chickens. I hope your able to find what your lookin for and the dogs are ok with them. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

You have mail. :) I am going to walk you through what you need to do when they arrive in the mail okay? I will email it all to you. Right now, I have got to get this house picked up. We just finished schooling, and I am behind today, whats new...lol.  I will put some pictures and how to stuff together for you okay? I want your babies to be a success! I want lots of pictures too, but you knew that! ;) Hugs, Kelly

Anonymous said...

good luck with the chickens!! will look forward to hearing your progress with them!!

I saw No Reservation; I thought it was a very cute movie!!

betty

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a good weekend :o)  The chickens sounds like a great idea you must keep us updated as to how that goes xx

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

Anonymous said...

oh fun!  chickens are cool :)  At the barn I used to ride at they had one named Henrietta and she would lay one egg every morning on one of the posts of the horse stalls.  I don't think the dogs will be too bothered by them...maybe at first but they'll probably get used to them.

I'll send you some spring if you bottle up some winter for me ;)
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

I wonder why the free range chicken people won't get the door? Strange. Raising your own chickens sounds economical and interesting!
XO