Tuesday, January 22, 2008

More on accident

Well, the guys are back and they explained to me what happened.  As they were getting on the freeway (the roads looked as clear as can be) Stefan started to speed up a little and as he started speeding up his truck hit that black ice and began sliding.  Stefan did everything right but with all the ice it's not hard to lose control of a vehicle as we all know!  He was only going 35 when they started sliding.  They slid sideways into the medium and flipped the truck when it hit the curb.  The truck was facing the opposite way by the time it landed on it's side.  Cory said Stefan was very brave.  His side was the side that was facing up so he tried opening  his door to get out and then the door fell on his thumb!  OUCH!  Now he  has a nasty blood blister from that.  He finally just crawled out the window followed by Cory.  They both had their seat belts on which was a good thing.  The cop that was there getting the report said he would just list it as unrecordable and keep it OFF Stefan's record and OFF our insurance as well.  That's going to save us some money and save Stefan's driving record as well.  He could have lost his license because for the first year all  points are doubled!  The cop believed it was not anyones fault and only an accident so he was really nice about it. 
Stefan was VERY shaken up about the whole thing and doesn't want to drive again for a while which is understandable!  I think a roll would freak me out too!  I have never been in a vehicle that actually rolled over to it's side! lol
So anyway...I didn't get any pictures cuz the truck is at grandpas house but I'm going to try to get some before he fixes it.  Grandpa is going to fix it up for him (I have such great inlaws!)  and get him back on the road.  It has minimal damage...a few dents and the side mirror of course broke off from the roll but that was about it.  Whew...what a day for us so far!  I just about had a heart attack when Cory called me all winded trying to tell me what happened!  My first reaction was OMG are you guys ok!?  Then I cried because it could have been SO much worse then that if he had been going faster!  Thank god he is a cautious driver!  He did a great job with the situation!  And thanks to some great people who sent some VERY nice email over my way...Chrissie and Lori... and my niece Heather for calling when she read my entry,  always listening to me gab on the phone whenever I want to gab! And for such wonderful comments...Janis,  Kelly, Meg and any new comments coming in AFTER I post this!  Love you guys!  And thank you!  The day has to get better....stay tuned! lol 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad everything is okay--I don't blame Stefan for not wanting to drive.  Praise God dad was there--sure it made everything easier (even with the cops). :)

Have a great day now--once your heart slows down! :)

Janis

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everything is going to be alright. That cop was really great! Glad he was so good about it all. Poor Stefan, it wasnt anything he did, but now he is going to have to get up the courage to get behind the wheel again. Maybe when the Spring thaw is here he will feel more confident. Glad the vehicle is going to be able to be fixed. I have never been in an accident where the car rolled, but have  friend that had it happen to her...the way she described it all...was so scary! (((HUGS))) Kelly

Anonymous said...

Thank God they are okay! I've never been in a vehicle that flipped and I don't ever want to be.  I can't imagine how scary that was for them especially Stefan being a new driver.  Give them hugs for me!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God that they are both ok. That was a nice cop for not writing anything up against him. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm happy they are ok...it may have been a good learning experience for Stefan. Black ice is a horrible thing and has tricked many experienced drivers.  And thanks to grandpa for fixing the truck.  What a day, huh ?!?  You guys need to all go out to pizza.  Linda in cold (25*) and probably some black ice somewhere Washington state

Anonymous said...

WOW!  Goodness!  I am SO glad Stefan and Cory are okay!  I've flipped a car before, and it is NOT fun!  Congrats to Stefan for being so responsible with his driving!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie, I'm making the rounds and turning alerts back on so you are now up and running in Pooh land!! Holy Cow....what a day you have had, and thank goodness everyone was okay! You are so right.....it could have been so much worse.
I know Stefan is a little scared of driving now, but don't let him wait too long to get back behind the wheel....I've seen that backfire terribly in someone's life before. It's important tha he build his confidence back quickly because in the end, that will help him on the roads.
I'm so glad it all worked out okay!!
OMG, Nick has grown!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I am so glad no one was hurt, except for a finger!  Glad the cop was reasonable too!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Whoa Carrie!  I've been in accidents before but never a rollover.  I'd freak too.  Sorry I haven't been around.  There aren't enough hours in the day.  I'm now caught up on journals and email.  I'm glad the cop didn't report it and Stefan & Cory were okay.  
Hugs,
D

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs))) Oh do I know this feeling....Skye had her first car accident this past Oct.
In her case she was driving along a country road and went to turn into her fiance's parents driveway and her front tire went in a pot hole. She managed to right the car only to slide on wet leaves. Her car did a double flip. Her fiance was right behind her and saw the whole thing. The call I got was she was in the hospital. I went in and Gary has blood on his jeans. Her face is cut and scratched up. She ended up with stiches in her lip where her teeth pierced from being jolted around in the car. Later on she showed me pictures of her car, I couldn't stop crying. She is so lucky. The entire hood of her car just about collapsed in....

I'm so happy Stefan is alright and they are willing to keep it off his record. Someone told me the better drivers survive an early car wreck in the beginning. I'm so relieved this wasn't worse than it was. Our kids....I couldn't imagine losing mine to something like this. Stay safe and loved hon! Tell Stefan I'm glad he's alright after that. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

oh so thats what really happened?? little liar told me nothing too bad happened and the accident was so awesome he wanted to do it again!! he is a little brat!