Monday, February 25, 2008

ON to some bread topics.

Ok most of you already know that we had started making home made bread.  Both for the cost and we just took a DEEP look as to what goes in factory made bread.  YUK! It's gross and it has tons of cancer causing agents in it that we don't need!  So we pay .50 cents a loaf VS .89 cents (and that's for the cheapest stuff) and we get really yummy home made bread.  We can really whip out the dough now that were getting used to using our Kitchen Aid mixer for kneeding the bread dough.  I have to share some info with you all though. 
We had been having a problem with the darn dough going up past our hook and onto the little metal spring looking thingy.  See the pics: 





Well after a while, we got pretty annoyed by this and sick of trying to get all the black grease looking dough off the ball of dough we were going to be rising.  So I sat and thought...Umm why don't we try olive oil on the top of the hook!?  We tried that and walaH!  It worked!  Now we can make wonderful dough and not have to worry about that happening!  Does anyone else make home made dough that this was happening to?  I would love some input on this if you own a mixer like this one. 
So here is our finished dough ready to go into the oven:


Ok, notice one glass bread pan and one metal non stick one.  These are the only two we own and we found that we like the metal one WAY more then the glass Pyrex one.  For two reasons.   * When you raise it no matter how alike they look when you get done "making the shape of a loaf to rise" the glass one just doesn't look as good as the metal one.  

* The metal one browns WAY better then the glass one.  We tried leaving the glass one in a little longer but it got TOO done then.  25 min at 400 is all it can take! But the metal one turns out perfect every time! See what I mean?!



Now I have to tell you about the best tasting Grilled Cheese sandwich ever! lol  Made with home made bread is out of this world good!  Nic chowed this right down!  The trick is not to cut it TOO thick.  Thinner is better when it comes to grilled cheese I think. Check this out:

 


Ok and here is a picture of our little Max who has been very well behaved lately. He was sure happy to see his master Stefan when he got home (right on time I may add).  I was trying to talk to Stefan about his friend who was not talking to him the last day they were there and Max was right in front of his face and he couldn't see me sign lol.  He kept licking him and would not leave him alone! lol   Still don't know why Trevor stopped talking to Stefan and the girls.  Stefan thinks he was feeling left out for some reason.  I will ask him next time I see him. 




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm dieting here and your bread looks fantastic!  Making me want a grilled cheese right now! LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

the only tip i know of to keep the dough from coming out of the mixer like that is (aside from oil on the top) to turn the speed up for a second and it 'throws' the dough back down on the kneeding arm.  then turn it back down to regular speed.

the bread looks amazing.  i haven't tried baking it yet, we're still trying to run out of the store bread.  i made my last 'bag' of roast the other night too.  i'm hunting for that enameled dutch oven on sale or discount :)

so is stefan deaf?  i thought you were teaching Nic to sign to help with speech.  so you sign 'fluently'?  that's too cool.  i know a little, having taught pey some when she was learning to talk...and now we're doing it with Eli.  lol.  he signed 'poop' today...and at the right time..lol.

have a good one doll~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Oh Carrie....it is 9:45 and past my cut off time of eating of 8:00! But now, I want bread, toast, & grilled cheese!!!!! LOLOLOL! You are testing me Carrie!!! :0

It all looks yummy, and that Max....priceless, what a face!!!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

That bread is AWESOME. You make me want to make my own...hmmmm, I might have to broach this subject with Ian...he is a big bread fan...loves bread.

Anonymous said...

WOW

My heavens, i am dying for a piece of your bread now. That looks just DIVINE!!!!!!!!!   WOW.

The doggy looks so cute too.
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

Kyan's fav is grilled cheese and on homemade better I'm sure it's the bomb.

Fresh bread makes the house smell wonderful.

I agree the other looks better. See you did a kitchen test right there with results.

I wish I had a Kitchen Aid maybe I'll treat myself one day.

So how many loaves do you have to make a day because when I made it around here a loaf or two was gone in a day with five people eating away at it.

Take care, Chrissie