Wednesday, February 20, 2008

ROAST

Ok here is the ingredients needed:

One (2 1/2 to 3 lbs) Beef chuck roast (I have used both boneless and bone in) This is boneless

One 10 3/4 oz can of Campbell's Creamy onion soup (or cr of onion)

One 10 3/4 oz can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup

One 10 3/4 oz can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup

One 5 lb bag potatoes

One bag of the smaller baby carrots (don't get the real big ones they don't get as soft) 16 oz bag

First you want to brown your roast on all sides.  Med high to high heat used for this...do not leave it longer then 2 min on each side.  I am using a 5 qt kettle here...same one that will go into the oven.  Less mess! 




This is what it should look like after being browned:  Can even be a bit more browned but I was in a hurry ;)  Browning it keeps the juices in the meat and it's way more tender when it's done :)  This also always makes people ask...WHAT is that wonderful smell when they walk into your house lol.
 



After your done browning all sides add the three soups.  DO NOT ADD WATER...you want the condensed version!  They are now making the ready to eat kind so careful when picking these up!  I have tried different soups when I could not find these three and the gravy just was not the same!   Not as thick and not as good!
 



Now add the carrots...the whole bag  and squish them down into the soup...does not have to be perfect.





Now put the cover on your pot and stick it in a preheated 350 * oven for 2 hours. Also, if your planning on adding potatoes IN with the roast you need to peel them now and cover them with water until your ready to use them.  Your not done  yet! 

After the 2 hours is up leave the oven on and  take your roast out.  Now here is when you add potatoes if you want them cooked right in the roast. I have to admit that this tastes WAY better with Mashed potatoes (recipe for this below too)!!   You won't have as much gravy either if you cook the potatoes  with the roast but it still turns out good.  You also won't use 5 lbs worth either...it just won't fit! lol  Use what you need for one dinners worth (5-6 potatoes) Here it is before I stirred it up after 1/2 the cooking time. 



Ok now stir this and make sure most everything is covered. Put lid back on and stick it back in the oven for another 2 hours.  Here is the roast after I stirred it. It will still look pretty thin here. 



Now while your waiting for your roast, start peeling your potatoes (if you didn't already add them) and cut them in half length wise and stick them all in a 5 quart kettle covered with water and stick the pan on the stove. Add 2-3 Tablespoons of salt to this water. Don't cook them yet.

After the 2 hours is up you need to again check your roast.  All ovens are different.  Make sure the roast is fork tender and almost "falling apart" If you look at the meat below it is falling apart it's so tender :)  YUM!  Ok so this would be done...now put that cover back on and leave this sit in the oven (now turned off) for another 1/2 hour to 45 min while you wait for your potatoes.  Sitting allows it to cool just enough for eating once your potatoes are done.  So turn on those tators now on  high!  Also add a Tablespoon of oil so they don't boil over :)



When your potatoes are done (they should be very tender)  drain them and put them either in your kitchen aid mixer or mash by hand.  Add 1/2 stick of real butter and about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of whole milk (can use skim too) Mash them up until they are the consistency you like.  May have to add less or more milk. Sometimes I add a little shredded cheese too but not with the roast. Here are the potatoes:



Here is the finished plate!!!  It was SO good! lol There you have it!  It's very easy to do and it makes your house smell so good too~!  If you try this let me know how you like it! BTW you will have left over mashed potatoes for another meal OR if you have some roast left over.  I sometimes make potato pancakes with the left over  mashed potatoes.  




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that looks and sounds yummy.  Have you been taking food-picture-taking lessons from Pioneer Woman?

Anonymous said...

I'm coming to YOUR house for din din!   mmmm-MMMM!
~Meg

Anonymous said...

YUM YUM... I usually cook the same way, but use only Golden Mushroom soup the others make the gravy thicker I see what you mean. That is such a great comfort dinner for a cold day. Love it.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

oh my, i think i love you.  lol

i use one of those season packets to do my roast, i have never even looked up a recipe.  i'm so trying this one, we love our meat and taters.  lol and you make your mashed taters like i do.  sometimes i add garlic, onion or turnips into the potatoes while they cook and then mash it all together...it's really good with roast.

my brother tells me every holiday that i'm cheating by using my kitchen aid to mix everything.  but he always shuts up when i tell him to grab the hand masher.  ::wink::

thanks for the recipes, have a good one~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

i almost forgot to thank you for giving me the excuse to buy that coated cast iron pot i've been eyeing....chris saw those pictures and said, "whatever you need to make THAT, get it."

yay.

Anonymous said...

Good Lord.


hold on, i must wipe the slobber off my chin.


LOL

I am in love with this recipe plus those pics.

HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

I do this same recipe, but I cook it in my crockpot over night.  yummo!! Looks about the same as mine.
thanks for sharing the pics.  I am hungry now :)
Dondie

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, that looks so good!  

Anonymous said...

yep i make this too but i do it in the crockpot :) and I make Roast Hash with the leftovers with potato pancakes. :)

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Ok I tried your recipe and I couldn't find cream of onion soup so I got french onion.  I think it will work out fine.  Looks yummy so far!  Linda